Whether you are 80 or 8, your dental health is important.
Millions of people fail to visit a dentist each year, even though regular dental examinations and good oral hygiene can prevent most dental disease.
It's important that you and your family members feel comfortable with your dentist, because you're more likely to keep your appointments and follow oral care advice from a dentist you like and respect.
Choosing right dentist can be daunting, but following the 4 steps can help you choose the right dental practice for you!
1. Decide whether you want to have an NHS dentist, or a private dentist.
2. Ask family, friends, neighbors or colleagues if they would recommend their dentist. They can tell you about the personality of the dentist and staff, and answer the following questions.
- How well does the dentist explain treatment options?
-How long do you have to sit in the waiting room?
- Do you feel comfortable asking questions?
- How does the practice handle emergencies?
- How long do you have to wait for an appointment?
- How are bills handled?
3. Look at the practice’s website, or Facebook page. This should tell you about the practice; whether they welcome families, encourage preventive dental care, or offer flexible/convenient appointment times.
4. Don’t be afraid to visit the practice before you make a commitment. Speak to the team to find out what services the practice offers, and to see if you would feel happy visiting them on a regular basis.
Take your time choosing the right dentist for you; don't wait for a dental emergency!